It’s Wonder Woman’s 80th anniversary this year, and to recognize her status as an icon of hope and empowerment DC is launching a “Believe in Wonder” celebration that will include original content, commemorative comics, books, and global fashion collections and experiences.
Basically, if you like Wonder Woman, 2021 is the year for you! The Wonder Woman 80th anniversary culminates with with a worldwide celebration of Wonder Woman Day on October 21, including Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary 100-Page Spectacular, a gala collection along the lines of previous oversized anthologies. It’s great to see all the stops pulled out for one of DC’s most iconic (and long misunderstood) characters.
Among the activities and previews!
- The iconic, fan favorite Wonder Woman television titles are reborn with the new “retro-remix” video, tapping into the nostalgia of Wonder Woman and featuring Gal Gadot doing the signature spin that Lynda Carter made famous in the original series.
- DC and WarnerMedia announce a power-packed video inspired by Wonder Woman showcasing the impact of women around the world and the powerful women connected in the Company’s content and products. This year, WarnerMedia will produce videos that shine a spotlight on 80 “Women of Wonder” including real women, network journalists and talent, cultural figures, experts, influencers and celebrities who – like Wonder Woman herself – are advancing representation in their fields, acting as real-life superheroes and giving us reasons to “Believe in Wonder.”
- Beginning today, DC honors the creation and legacy of Wonder Woman making All-Star Comics #8 (the first appearance of Wonder Woman), Sensation Comics #1 (the first comic headlined by Wonder Woman), and Wonder Woman #1 (1942) free to read on the ultimate fan destination for DC: DC UNIVERSE INFINITE.
- Also announced today, Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary 100-Page Spectacular will bring together some of the greatest storytellers in comics and entertainment for a tribute to Wonder Woman in a collectible keepsake. Available this October on Wonder Woman Day, fans can look forward to original stories and a beautiful art montage by Eisner Award-winning artist Yanick Paquette (Wonder Woman: Earth One) with colors by Nathan Fairbairn.
- The hit movie Wonder Woman 1984 starring Gal Gadot releases in Digital HD on March 16 in the U.S., and then on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, and DVD on March 30. In addition, the animated feature Justice Society: World War II will be available on Digital on April 27 and on 4K and Blu-ray on May 11. Throughout March, Wonder Woman 1984 will also release digitally across international territories and will be available on participating digital platforms.
- DC is debuting custom art that pays tribute to Wonder Woman’s legacy while looking ahead toward her future. The pop art design was created by INNOCEAN USA, which also designed the 80th anniversary logo, and drew its inspiration from the iconic cover of Wonder Woman #4 (2016) by artist Nicola Scott.
DC celebrates Wonder Woman’s 80th Anniversary with an assortment of comic books and original graphic novels for any fan of the amazing Amazon:
- Nubia: Real One – Available now, this young adult graphic novel celebrates the heroism of Wonder Woman in a reimagining of the story of her twin sister, Nubia. Originally created for the comics in 1973 (Wonder Woman #204), this YA version, written by celebrated author L.L. McKinney features art by Robyn Smith and takes readers on Nubia’s heroic journey against the backdrop of modern-day racism and inequality.
- Wonderful Women of History – Available September 28, 2021, this young adult graphic novel continues DC’s rich legacy of celebrating inspirational figures throughout history and hearkens back to the original “Wonder Woman of History” feature series that ran in the back of issues of Sensation Comics and Wonder Woman from 1942-1954. Presented in a graphic novel style, the anthology profiles women from all walks of life who are inspiring young readers today to be the leaders of tomorrow who learn, build and dream.
- Sensational Wonder Woman Vol. 1 – Available in comic book stores, book retailers and on digital platforms on October 5, this book collects the first six issues of an anthology of self-contained Wonder Woman stories from some of the industry’s most popular writers and artists.
- Wonder Woman Earth One Vol. 3 – Available at comic book stores, book stores and on participating digital platforms, Wonder Woman: Earth One Vol. 3 is the epic conclusion to the New York Times bestselling original graphic novel series from the acclaimed team of writer Grant Morrison and artist Yanick Paquette.
- DC UNIVERSE INFINITE: New Wonder Woman selections will be made available to read for free each month along with curated collections celebrating essential stories through the decades. And keep an eye on the DC Community Book Club for some upcoming Wonder Woman offerings and epic conversations with fellow fans!
But that is not all!
- DC Shop: Get your exclusive ‘Believe in Wonder’ Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary T-shirt here.
- Digital Stories: Fans of all ages can enjoy listening to four brand new You Choose Wonder Woman Stories from Capstone available via Google Assistant here today! Google users can also say “Hey Google, talk to Wonder Woman Stories” or “Talk to You Choose Wonder Woman Stories” to pull it up on their device. Additionally, Serial Box will release their Wonder Woman: Heartless serialized story exclusively via the Serial Box app. That story is available for pre-order now and will be released on March 25.
- Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will offer the feature film Wonder Woman 1984 on Digital HD on March 16 in the U.S., and then on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, and DVD on March 30. In addition, the animated feature Justice Society: World War II will be available on Digital on April 27 and on 4K and Blu-ray on May 11. Throughout March, Wonder Woman 1984 will also release digitally across international territories.
- HBO Max: Wonder Woman (2017) starring Gal Gadot and every episode of the Wonder Woman television series starring Lynda Carter are available this month on HBO Max.
- Warner Bros. Games will recognize Wonder Woman’s anniversary all year long via special promotions and activations in its popular ongoing game titles like DC Universe Online, Injustice 2, and DC Legends. Additionally, Nintendo will join the celebration on June 4, 2021 when it releases DC Super Hero Girls: Teen Power, a brand-new title for the Nintendo Switch system starring Wonder Woman in a lead role alongside Batgirl and Supergirl as they try to protect Metropolis from a fearsome group of foes.
- DC Wonder Woman Virtual Run (5K or 10K) from Rugged Races in partnership with Warner Bros. Consumer Products will return for a second year after record-breaking participation in 2020. Families and individuals will find that the virtual run is a great way to get moving and bring some of Wonder Woman’s unconquerable warrior spirit into their lives. Runs open for registration in July. More information is available at dcwonderwomanrun.com.
- Warner Bros. World™ Abu Dhabi is set to host Women of Warner. Taking place on March 8 from 6 pm to 10 pm, guests are in for a spectacular celebration of International Women’s Day. Warner Bros. World will introduce the ‘Wonder Woman Exhibit’ in Treasures of Hollywood at the Warner Bros. Plaza. Running until May 18, the ‘Wonder Woman Exhibit’ will feature the Wonder Woman costume as worn by Gal Gadot and Steve Trevor’s costume as worn by Chris Pine, among many other original items from the Warner Bros. Pictures film, Wonder Woman.
- Warner Bros. Mexico recently launched an exclusive new Wonder Woman 80th-branded collection in C&A stores, featuring fashionable apparel for the entire family.
- Warner Bros. UK will have Wonder Woman 1984 available to own digitally on 8th March and available for purchase on 4K, Blu-ray, DVD from 22nd March.
Fans are encouraged to use the hashtags #WonderWoman80 and #BelieveInWonder on social media to join in.